From: "PeterLangley" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] From 34/37 to 42/67
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:20:20 +0100

I see no reason why, mathematically and working on the laws of averages,
this could not happen. Even if it is one chance in billions.

The problem has arisen since you matched so closely at 37 and this is what
has caused the query.

It also depends on the markers tested in each batch. I am not sure if I can
get my point across, but I'll try.

Say you matched 27/37 and then 47/67 you wouldn't even be thinking about it
because you would not have looked at the 27 match in the first place due to
the distance.
But you do match on 47 markers.
Now what if you were with a testing company which tested just those 47
markers and no others? You would match 47/47 with the other person and you
would be extremely excited.
But testing the other 20 you come to the 47/67 match and even more
consternation on this list!!

Is there a mathematician on the list who can interpret my thoughts?

This thread: