Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroups
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:23:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2006 7:18:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> 1. Two people(A&B) with same surname whose paper trail show MRCA back
> to 1603 have a 34/37 match and both are R1B1. High probability that
> results validate paper trail.
>
> 2. Third person (C) same surname and paper trail as A&B. 34/37
> match. He is J. Perhaps an NPE? Due to the different haplogroup no
> possibility of a MRCA within advent of surnames.
>
> If these two statements are correct I would like to hypothesize a
> scenario in which all three, in fact do have a MRCA . This may me
> defined as an NPE but I am not sure.
>
> A&Bs MRCA 1603 has a sister. She has children with a J. For whatever
> reason the children assume their mothers surname instead of the
> fathers. Therefor MRCA of A,B&C would be 1603s father.

You've hit upon a very common reason for breaking the connection between a Y
chromosome signature and a surname. It would be an example of a non-paternity
event, or a broader term that I am starting to use, misattributed paternity.

However, parts of your scenario are not realistic. If C is in a different
haplogroup, he is not likely to match 34/37.

If you take the literal sense of the words Most Recent Common Ancestor, you'd
think it could apply to an ancestor in any line (e.g. 1603's father).
However, by convention, we typically restrict the use of of the term MRCA to the
straight male line (or straight female line for mtDNA). In this sense, A,B, and C
do not share a common paternal-line ancestor -- C's line was broken by a
female.

Ann Turner

This thread: