From: "Rex Johnson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] DNA Evidence for a Significant Viking Presence in Wales
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:27:35 +0100

Hello David,
I would first like to thank you for emailing the clarification of the S28+
situation to the List. It helps to have words about the status of the
findings for the group so far, from the person holding the original data.
This though, is to follow up your email a short time ago, concerning the
Cimbri.
Your email came to mind tonight as I was reading "The Early History of
Barton on Humber", on the east coast of Lincolnshire where the River Humber
flows out into the North Sea.
The chapter on the "Pagan Anglo-Saxon Period", starts with the collapse of
Roman Britain, with Germanic groups including Angles, Saxons, Jutes and
Frisians invited in as mercenaries to 'shore up' Britannia's sagging
defences - or they came 'as economic migrants (the boat people of their
age), desperate to escape worsening conditions in their native areas'.
A following paragraph which caught my attention reads:
By the second half of the fifth century organized resistance by the
Romano-Britons had collapsed, and between 450 and 550 Lindsey fell under the
political control of groups of immigrant Anglo-Saxons. The take-over may
have been as much by diplomacy as by force, with the local native population
being left alone on their properties or working on their old estates, now
under the control of the newcomers. They were often referred to as - CUMBRE
or CUMBRA - the Welshmen. Their presence in the area is indicated at such
places as Walcot - the Welshmen's cottages - in Alkborough parish, and even
closer to Barton at the 'Cumbre Hole' - the Welshmen's Hollow.

It is quite amusing for me to think of 'Welshmen' as being original
inhabitants of Lincolnshire. I can't remember ever reading the term Cumbre
with reference to this county before.
The chapter continues with a description of the huge number of Germanic and
Celtic 'finds' in the area, and of the very large Anglo Saxon cemetery at
Castledyke, Barton, which has been extensively excavated.
What a genetic mix this country has been - it makes me wonder if it will
ever be sorted out!
Regards, Rex