Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplo U
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:20:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/2006 11:30:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Hello, my question has probably come up many times but I am new to this
> mailing list and I am new to understanding my mtdna results. I tested at
> genographic as haplogroup U yet I am listed as U4 on the Ftdna site. Can some one
> explain please? Thanks Teona.

The Genographic Project is being more "conservative," giving you a more
general answer that is based on a special haplogroup test. FTDNA is being more
specific, and probably basing their assignment on the existence of a mutation at
16356, which is commonly found in a subdivision of haplogroup U. There is a
table of "motifs" for different haplogroups at

http://www.stats.gla.ac.uk/~vincent/founder2000/motif.html

Ann Turner

This thread: