Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS425 M* from Oxford Ancestors
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:22:59 +0000

Ann,

I don't know the answer to that question, but to muddy the waters a little bit more, here is a post from the Rootsweb DNA List from February 2002:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2002-04/1019134383

"Regarding multiple peaks, here is what Dr David Ashworth of Oxford Ancestors
wrote to me in a letter dated 25 February 2002

For your information, the *M symbol is used when we are either unable to
detect any peak at all for a marker or when multiple peaks are detected. The
detection of no peaks is probably due to a mutation occurring in either of
the primer binding sites, but may also be due to a large deletion between the
two primers, resulting in the production of a fragment too small to be
detected. "Multiple-peak detection" is less straightforward to explain and
we are currently working to determine the most likely cause. Our current
data indicates that the *M designation appears to be inherited in close
relatives, but this does not hold for more distant relatives possibly
indicating that the cause is not Y-linked. When we determine what type of
DNA modification produces this result, we will inform all those customers who
are affected.

Arthur Carden"

Me again. As far as I know DNAF and FTDNA have not reported multiple peaks and I haven't found any instances in the literature about DYS425. Thanks,

Phil

> In a message dated 8/15/2006 7:14:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> > When I tried to sort out what M* meant earlier this year, I saw quotes from
> > OA stating that this stood for "missing" and others that said "multiple
> > peaks." After studying DYS425 in the published literature, I concluded that
> M*,
> > as used by OA, stood for missing rather than multiple.
>
> Wouldn't "multiple" be theoretically possible with a gene conversion event?
>
> Ann Turner

> http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: