From: "David Weston" <>
Subject: Geno Project Hg Descriptions updated/added
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:23:31 -0300

Hello,

I took a quick search through the Genealogy-DNA archives for 2006 to see if this has been mentioned
already but didn't find anything so thought I should pass it on. I thought it may have come up in
discussions on the Genographic Project Conference earlier this year. Anyways, for what its worth,
the Genographic Project haplogroups and descriptions in their "Atlas of the Human Journey" have been
updated/revised:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

If I remember correctly Hg R1b (M343) used to be shown as first appearing 50,000 years ago. It now
shows 35,000 years ago. The Hg I description now suggests an origin in one of the glacial refuges
during the last Ice Age and includes a mention of its connection to the Vikings. I believe it used
to point to the Middle East as the origin point of Hg I.

Descriptions of Haplogroup subclades like I1a (M253), I1b (P37.2) and R1a1 (M17) have also been
added. I1a is given an age of 15 to 20,000 years and origin in the Iberian Peninsula. I1b is
described as originating 15,000 years ago in the Balkans.

I am not sure when the update was made but its been several months since I've poked through the
Atlas in detail.

David Weston
Group Administrator
East Anglia Geographic DNA Project