From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Native American testing.
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:06:55 -0700

Here is where I pay a penalty for not taking a deeper interest in the
current testing going on for Native American heritage among the
various ethnic tests running around.

For the second time this month someone has come to me with questions
about how to confirm Native American genetics in her family. In this
case I have ascertained that the link is totally maternal from the
subject up through her direct maternal line to the suspected Native
American ancestor. The story is her gg-grandmother was Native
American. Thus she is 4 generations down the tree from the suspected
NA ancestor. Obviously the mtDNA should be exactly the same barring
some unlikely fiddling along the way.

So the first question is whether this is sufficient to confirm the NA
in her family?

It seems from what I have read that if she is tested and falls into
one of the NA clans (A, B, C, D, or X) then she can rest assured that
she is "probably" NA. It is actually a nephew who is interested and
once I learned it was through the maternal line and this was the son
of her sister I realized he too should have the same mtDNA and it
shouldn't matter which gets tested.

The next question, based on the experience of those who have gone to
the testing trough on this, what are the odds that if tested they
will be able to confirm the connection? That is what is the
suspected rate of failure to confirm "known" ancestry?

Which Labs seem to be providing the best results in this testing,
again based on actual individuals who have been tested? One that has
been suggested to me is Argus Biosciences.

Finally, is there any advantage for going with the full bore mtDNA
test or would the Hypervariable region test alone be sufficient?

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: