From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroups within the British Isles
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know if this holds true of bog bodies? If
Y-DNA is extractable from Pete Marsh (Lindow Man) or
one of the other bog bodies found in Britain, it might
yield some very interesting information.

(I'm thinking of these specifically as flesh is
preserved and the normal bacterial processes that
destroy DNA would likely not function under high acid,
zero oxygen conditions. They were even able to analyze
Pete's stomach contents.)

I honestly don't know what other funery process
(deliberate or accidental) that might preserve genetic
information. Unlike some other cultures, the ancient
British didn't seem too bothered about preserving
physical remains.

Now, if -enough- bones are gathered, and you're not
too bothered about specific markers, then you can just
re-assemble whatever fragments exist using modern DNA
as a rough guide to help identify which fragment
attaches where. This may be good enough, if you want
the genetic markers for a region, provided all DNA
samples were from individuals within the same genetic
group and provided we know enough about what those
markers can NOT be.

I seriously dount anyone has done such an experiment,
though. It would be very costly and very difficult. It
would also require a lot of remains from a narrow
enough population group, which may not be possible to
obtain.

There may be other very freak combinations of
circumstances which would yeld the desired data. It
might be fun to work out what some of those are, then
plot out locations where such combinations could occur
and what specific period in pre-history those freak
conditions would apply to. At worst, you'll end up
with a greater appreciation of the sciences involved
and material for a superb pre-historic short story or
horror novel.

Jonathan