Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Tribes Question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:52:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/06 2:46:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

> You can say that again. CODIS testing is *designed* to be
> especially uninformative about geography, so as to be better
> at identifying an individual uniquely in all the world. .

Hi John,
Thanks for your response. I guess you have to be careful with the CODIS
testing if you're planning on doing anything illegal - good thing Gram's a
law-abiding citizen:-)

> Quick and easy check: did you look at the raw scores to see if there
> was a result reported for amelogenin? If they report the sample as
> "female", then you've ruled out half of the possible sources of error
> at one stroke.

Yep, that was female.

> Generally speaking, you shouldn't be worrying about "contamination"
> so much as "idiotic screw-up". A standard, clean DNA sample that
> arrives intact through the mail is going to be chock-full of DNA
> of the submitter, and any accidental contamination would add only
> a trace of other DNA. The results would not be harmed by that.
> The real worry (and it is, or should be, very remote) is that the
> sample was lost or destroyed or mixed up with some other sample.
> I don't think you should worry about that, but, if you really want
> to be assured of a good sample, your best bet is to run the test
> twice independently, e.g., by using two different labs. If you
> get the same results twice, you can be *very* confident of accuracy.

Do you know of another company that does the same test?

Thanks again,
Sonia

This thread: