From: "R. & G. Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroups in Slovenia
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:28:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:14 PM
Subject: [DNA] Haplogroups in Slovenia

> Yesterday, I ordered a Genographic kit as a gift for a Slovenian friend.
> As
> we have discussed on this list, Genographic offers a major advantage over
> direct FTDNA orders: a free SNP test if necessary, which it usually is
> among
> my crowd.
>
> In preparation for the eventual results, I went to the best source of
> Slovenian yDNA data I could find: the Ljubljana haplotypes in the YHRD
> database. I applied Athey's predictor to each, and whenever no or two
> haplogroups scored over 50, I checked Ysearch and YHRD for actual
> examples.
> Two haplotypes are not in Ysearch, #9 and #11. YHRD makes clear that #9
> is
> indeed R1a, but #11's haplogroup is somewhat questionable because it is
> not
> found anywhere in the world but Ljubljana, a place where both R1a and I1b
> are common. This #11 haplotype is:
> DYS19=17
> DYS389i,ii=13,30
> DYS390=24
> DYS391=11
> DYS392=11
> DYS393=14
> DYS385a,b=11,14
>
> Here are the haplotypes and percentages in Ljubljana, their assigned
> haplogroups, and the total percentage for each haplogroup. Of course, the
> numbers add up to less than 31% because these are only the twenty most
> common haplotypes. A reasonable guess as to the total percentage of a
> haplogroup in the population might be to multiply each haplogroup's
> percentage by 3.
>
> R1a (17.1%):
> #1 (R1a=100) 4.4%
> #2 (R1a=89) 3.3%
> #4 (R1a=98) 1.7%
> #9 (R1a=46, J=16) [only Poland, Slovenia, Germany] 1.1%
> #10 (R1a=65) 1.1%
> #11 (R1a=49, I1b=33) [only Slovenia] 1.1%
> #12 (R1a=80) 1.1%
> #14 (R1a=78) 1.1%
> #19 (R1a=84, I1b=55) 1.1%
> #20 (R1a=87) 1.1%
>
> I1b (7.7%):
> #3 (I1b=93) 2.2%
> #13 (I1b=82) 1.1%
> #15 (I1b=63) 1.1%
> #16 (I1b=82) 1.1%
> #17 (I1b=62) 1.1%
> #18 (I1b=85) 1.1%
>
> I1a (5.1%):
> #6 (I1a=83, G=60) 1.7%
> #7 (I1a=85, G=54) 1.7%
> #8 (I1a=100, G=53) 1.7%
>
> R1b (1.7%):
> #5 (R1b=42, J=38) 1.7%
>
> Multiplying these haplogroup percentages by 3 gives
> R1a 51%
> I1b 23%
> I1a 15%
> R1b 5%
>
> I1a's significant percentage in Slovenia is difficult to explain. (I do
> not
> believe that Ljubljana was inundated by Vikings to the extent of 15% of
> [...]

I don't know, but maybe multiplying by 3 inflates the picture somewhat in
the case of I1a. Then again, given the known movement of Scandinavian
peoples into the Roman Empire during the Migration Period (Die
Voelkerwanderung), some I1a in places like Slovenia is not all that
surprising. Still, 15% seems a might high.

Rich

This thread: