From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Puzzled: A 25 marker match is not a match at 12 markers.
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:22:50 -0400 (EDT)

Jerry wrote:
> It could also happen if one was looking at a list of 12/12 matches and then
> added the 13 markers which have a match 13/13. This happens in real life.

Um. I was assuming that Lee Anne meant what she said: "not listed as
a 12-marker match." The genetic distance at 25 markers was 1.
Therefore, the genetic distance at 12 markers must have been at most
1, and the viewer would have to scroll past *all* 12-marker matches
and near-matches in order to see the 25-marker list. Ah, but there is
another possible explanation -- if there were too many matches, the
list would be truncated unless the viewer insisted on seeing the whole
list.

John Chandler

This thread: