From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] When is 25/26 not enough?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:38:37 -0600

It is extremely unlikely that a new founder in R1b will have any specific
(large N marker) haplotype. But there is certainly a most likely haplotype
if one were drawing out of a hat. Because of the linkages or correlations
in the total R1b population, it may not be exactly the modal Atlantic R1b,
but it is probably pretty close.

If you specify a 67 marker haplotype ahead of time and even choose something
close to a modal haplotype, there is a decent chance there will be none in
our present databases of their limited size. But that will be even more
true of a specific 67 marker haplotype chosen far from a modal peak.
Greatly enlarge the database and the sampling in haplotype space (which has
an incredible number of possibilities for large N haplotypes) gets more and
more thorough.

That is why I tell people to not put all their markers into a database
search engine if they are looking for exact matches. Use a truncated
haplotype with just the key marker values.

Ken