From: Robert Andersen <>
Subject: Vedr. [DNA] X-STR question - linked and unlinked
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:22:07 +0200 (CEST)

Do anyone have an overiew of what markers are linked?

As I understand at least these markers are linked

DXS6807, DXS7132, DXS7423, DXS10074, DXS10075 and DXS10079

Especially DXS10074, DXS10075 and DXS10079

Robert

Robert Andersen <> skrev:
Hello list,

I have seen there have been treads earlier about X-STR, but I feel I didnt get the basics right after reading these postings, I got some more questions I didnt find answer for in earlier postings, I apologise if these questions have been asked before.

As I understand there exist linked and unlinked XSTR. The difference between these is that the unlinked XSTR have a approx 50% risk of crossovers just like with autosomal STR markers but only when the XSTR is in a female generation, when going trough a male generation it stays put. However with a linked X-STR these crossovers do not happend when in a female generation, so using a group of linked X-STR loci the values will move trough many generations without changing just like normal male Y-STR so it is possible to find a common source similar Y-STR. If assuming this is correct what specific XSTR markers are linked and not linked?

The next issue is the herritage pattern trough each generation for a male and a female for a linked XSTR. As I understand a male get his X from his mother, the mother get this particular X from her father who got it from his mother and so on. Then the question is when testing a female is how is the female "other" X is transfered, if the X mentioned earlier is from the father, then from who is the "other" X herritaged from? The mother obviously, so is this "other" X a maternal only herritaged X?

Apreciate any good answers.

Robert

Find your ancestors in the Birth, Marriage and Death Records.
New content added every business day. Learn more:
http://www.ancestry.com/s13964/rd.ashx

This thread: