From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] E3b and redheads
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:55:16 -0500

I have always wondered if tothe Romans, red hair meant red. It could have
met a more reddish blonde than that found in Rome, or it could have met
people who were more characteristically blonde, and I wonder how much Roman
perception of the Galls' character colored their perception of those
peoples' hair color. The Roman people were more like us than we are; I
have recently become involved in a Roman reenactment group and am very
struck by that. Actually, their manners and their outlook on the world
closely resembled the British in the 19th century, for soem reason that is
mucho hard to fathom. Nobody but Romans could be as melodramatic as a
modern person of European descent.

Also, which Germans were these? I think the Germans the Romans had the
most contact with ewre migrating off of the southern steppes. Some of them
had migrated there from southwestern Scandinavia.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX