From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roman genetic footprints
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:26:34 -0400

Yes, that is a possible scenario! The problem arises in defining the
sub-group "Dacians." I suspect that there were several tribes associated
with this culture, probably from several genetic sources. Still, it seems
to be clear that there were substantial E3b's among the Dacians, since at
least some of them were descended from the Getai, who were definitely
members of the Thracian language group.

As the northernmost territory in the Thracian sphere of influence, the Getai
were subject to many incursions by other ethnic groups, including the
Cimmerians/Sarmatians, the Celts, and the Skythians. The province of Dacia
was hotly contested throughout the Roman era, with the portion north of the
Danube eventually abandoned by the Empire as too difficult to control.

Steve