From: John Cartmell <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roman genetic footprints
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:45:21 +0100

On 28 Sep, A DesCartes <> wrote:

> On 9/27/06, John Cartmell <> wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Sep, A DesCartes <> wrote:
> > > Whether you are positing on the the `R`, `I`, `J`, `E`, or `G` HG`s that
> > > predominate in Europe,... your `positing` will find its start somewhere
> > in
> > > the Black Sea region.
> >
> > And it seems obvious to me why this should be the case - though the books
> > that I've encountered seem to be intent on ignoring it. When, from over
> > 10,000 years ago there was a fresh-water lake in the centre of a fertile
> > depression, the place was a magnet for everyone wanting to try out this
> > new agriculture thing - and people would stumble across it from the near
> > east, India, north Asia and Europe. Then, when the Black Sea filled in
> > all those people would be forced out, beyond already settled areas around
> > the new Sea. And spreading their diversity of genes.
> >
> > And yet all those books with maps of 10k, 25k and more years ago show the
> > Black Sea coast as it is today with arrows showing people skirting the
> > place and squeezing through the highland areas between the Black Sea and
> > the Caspian Sea.

> Actually, although I am veering widely from the realm of Science into
> strictly matters of faith, I tend to appreciate the similarity to what one
> would expect from the Biblical account of Noah.

It's nothing to do with faith. You can keep strictly within Science. The story
of Noah may very well be based on a long-standing story based on fact. That
doesn't mean that we can or should take the details as fact and comparing the
Biblical Flood story with its precursors shows the foolishness of so doing.

> Each son married to a female descended of possibly different pre-flood
> populations, the females bearing divergent Phenotypes or even language which
> become fixed in that populations descendants, and each family
> group expanding, while moving millenia after millenia further out from "the
> mountains of Ararat" (Genesis 8:4) in their own chosen direction. The
> kingdom/mountains of Uratu, are just north of mesopotamia, and just south of
> the Black Sea.
> http://www.livius.org/arl-arz/armenia/armenia.html

There was fertile land that was almost certainly settled and farmed. There
were people there who were forced to move - and probably not in a direction of
choice but just where they could manage to move to avoid the flood and to
where they were allowed to settle in that direction.

No religion - but thanks to those who saved the account of the story.

--
John Cartmelljohn@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazineFAX +44 (0)8700-519-527www.finnybank.com