From: Linda R Romero <>
Subject: [DNA] mtDNA difference between siblings
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:05:31 -0500

I sent the following letter to my sister and my cousin. Would
someone please look our results over and comment on the differences?
Linda, Rita, and Rick are siblings listed in birth order. Heidi is
our mother's first cousin.

Thank you
Linda

Dear Rita and Heidi,

Our mtDNA should all be the same. When Rick's and mine differed, I
had the test I took in 2002 redone. This time, they came up with the
same results as Rick's test did. While waiting for my new test
results, a big sale from Argus came online and I asked you two to be
tested, also. Below are the results of those tests and Rick's and
mine. We are all descended from the same woman, our most recent
common ancestor (MRCA). Our MRCA is Heidi's grandmother who is also
Linda, Rita, and Rick's great-grandmother.

I am checking further as to why Rita's mtDNA is different. MtDNA
changes very slowly, over thousands of years. Accordingly, we should
all be the same.

My test was originally run and then retested by Relative Genetics.
Rick's was done by FamilyTreeDNA, and both of yours were done by
Argus Bioscience. That really shouldn't make any difference.

When the most recent tests were done for Linda, Rita, and Heidi, I
requested that the testing facilities watch for heteroplasmy. None
was found. I also requested that FTDNA check Rick's findings for
heteroplasmy. However, FamilyTreeDNA has not gotten back to me yet
on rechecking Rick's test.

LINDA
RITA
RICK