From: Linda R Romero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA difference between sibling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:54:56 -0500

On Sep 29, 2006, at 8:59 PM, wrote:

> mtDNA difference between sibling

Dear List members,
I'm so sorry I stirred things up by my "tongue-in-cheek" statement
that my sister would have a heart attack if she found out our mtDNA
differed. I don't for a moment believe that she is adopted or found
or secretly slipped into out family. But I am very interested in why
her results differ from my brother's and mine.

I have heard back from Argus Bioscience and they are very sure their
tests are correct. They sent me a printout of the readings. David
Whyte of Argus writes in part, "I checked our results and they look
solid - there is an insertion of one C
at 309 and there is not a polymorphism at 16428. I have attached a new
figure to the PDF file I sent earlier. It now shows the traces for the
16248 base as well as the insertions at 309 and 315.

We have triple coverage over base 16428 in Rita's sample (12388). In all
three traces, there is a strong G signal at 16428 (same as rCRS).
However,
in one trace there is a small A peak under the G peak. It is
pointed out
in the figure. This suggests to me that there might be heteroplasmy
at this
site - with the polymorphic DNA (16428A) at a few percent of the DNA
without
the polymorphism (16428G). But the other traces have no hint of a
minor A
peak.

There is also a hint of heteroplasmy for the peak at 309 in trace
12388_78.
But it is near the noise level for this technology.

If there is heteroplasmy, maybe the primers used by the different labs
selectively amplify or sequence different alleles in the
heteroplasmic mix."

He goes on to recommend talking to a genetic counselor rather than
further testing or research.

I haven't discussed this with my sister yet and have no idea what
genetic counseling would accomplish or cost.

I appreciate all the comments so far and if anyone has any further
comments or information, I am more than happy to hear it.

Thank you all, again. And don't worry. I don't believe Rita was
found under a cabbage leaf like mom said. (she said that about all
of us)

Linda

This thread: