From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Oppenheimer's Book
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 09:16:13 -0500

Who decided that all modern non-Africans are descended from people who left
Africa 85,000 to 90,000 years ago and travelled eastward along the coast
toward India?

Sounds like something Oppenheimer might have said. Man thinks modern
Europeans got there from north-eastern Asia. They went east to Asia, and
came all the way back to Europe. Nobody simply went north and west from
the Middle East.

Also, only Oppenheimer would ignore the fact that nobody who left Africa for
southeastern Asia 85,000 years ago has descendants living today.

The genetic bottleneck caused by the Toba volcano, 65,000 to 75,000 years
ago, occurred in Africa, and it was just 65,000 to 75,000 years ago. No
other humans living at that time left descendants who left DNA to tell about
it.

The Toba volcano is on Sumatra, of recent tsuanami fame, just south of
India. Anyone along the coast of India at the time it exploded was
instantly buried under many feet of ash.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX