From: "brian quinn" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] White skin color gene
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:58:04 +1100

Kathy, Hi. Hmm well all mammals have a range of white black and in between
plus the red gene I guess to give you roan horses and brown dogs. My dog
spot is mix of brown and white, the white is hairier than the furrier brown
colour. He won't sit still long enough but his skin seems to be white/pink
under both.

I suspect all humans had low melanin in skin when we were furry, and only
had to crank up the melanin per cent when we lost our fur- we kept some of
our hair. Which strangely is believed to have coincided with head and body
lice diverging. It dates when we started wearing clothes at 70,000 years ago
http://www.headlice.org/news/2003/louseorigins.htm That is when the lice
went from head lice to body lice, to occupy the now clothed body. Implies
that previously we had no fur on body though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color

1.2 million years ago we started to lose our chimpanzee like fur, but had to
increase the melanin. At least we lost the body lice- heaven, sigh!

Anyway we had to go black or skin cancer killed you if you mutated the MC1R
gene. But some must have wandered into cold, wet areas ,prob in one of the
Ice Age freezes and invented sewing. Oldest needle about 40,000 years ago.

Anyway because of the lack of strong sun, year round, (and thus skin cancer)
the gene MC1R could mutate all it liked and allow all the normal range of
(very boring compared to frogs etc!) mammal colour to rage unchecked. The
effect reinforced by clothing and hats(and now sun screen and of course
roofs!) since 70,000 years ago.

Funnily enough when poms arrive in Australia on their holidays the very
white ones look ill, compared to the locals. They quickly try to get brown
to look more attractive- now why is that? Course in England the older
aussies look like an old boot.

Brian Quinn (hobnailed)

Message: 3