From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP and STR testing for R1a
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:32:18 -0600

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Eric Olson
> I have is rather more like a bottleneck. If my immigrant was
> the last of his family in Europe then it is a real
> bottleneck, followed by a rapid family expansion over here,
> and I would find nothing in Europe. But if he left behind a
> brother or a male cousin who had offspring even unto this
> generation, then I have a chance of finding him through STR
> testing which would match by haplotype. Even on 12
> markers..... with surname variant...

My point was that if your ancestor in Europe was ethnically German or
Austrian, the probability that a patrilineal descendant survives in Europe
is pretty good, because Germany and Austria were prosperous and 'expanding'
into the 20th century. If your European ancestor was ethnically Czech or
Slovak (and simply called himself German or Austrian because that was his
legal citizenship), the probability of your patrilineal line dying or
daughtering out in Europe would be much higher.

This thread: