From: "Eric Olson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1a in Mongolia
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:54:29 -0800

Doug,

Thank you for the correction. India is thought to be about 20% R1a, not
37%.
http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/healthcare/genographic/doc/content/landing/
1441348132.html

But that does not make R1a a "little" Haplotype.

Consideration that R1a is about 20% in India and about 67% in Poland and
Russia (including Ukraine?), at 40-50% in the Balkans, 32% in the Czech
Republic, and at 15-25% in other Eastern European counties (Wikipedia,
World Book of Facts, etc.) argue that it is not to be lightly dismissed as
a "little" Haplogroup, monolithic, with little to learn from its study.

Incidentally Oppenheimer et al feel R1a may have arisen more in South Asia
than Central Asia. "Stephen Oppenheimer, who reports upon the results of
the Human Genome Diversity Project in his book "The Real Eve: Modern Man's
Journey out of Africa", comments that, "For me and for Toomas Kivisild,
South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17 and his ancestors; and
sure enough we find highest rates and greatest diversity of the M17 line in
Pakistan, India, and eastern Iran, and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is
not only more diverse in South Asia than in Central Asia but diversity
characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus
undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a 'male Aryan Invasion of
India'" (p. 152)."

In any case," little" R1a may reveal its secrets in the fullness of time
(and of funding).

Eric