From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Order of importance
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:01:47 -0800 (PST)

Ken:

This region, know as Vestfold, was actually for many years part of Denmark. It is the only hotspot in Norway for R1b-S28. Hence this is precisely the place where I would expect to see matches in all haplotypes between Vestfold and Jutland more than with the rest of Norway or Sweden - although Skane in Sweden has a similar association with Denmark so once again I would expect to see a greater similarity between Skane and Halland with Denmark than with Uppsala etc. in Sweden. For most of history and likely prehistory these Swedish regions were isolated from each other and Skane is doubtless closer genetically with Denmark than with Sweden in general. BTW Skane was known as "the womb or nations" (actually the "v" word was used in original sources) and so the Herules, Lombards, Goths and so on likely originated here. Some day I would like to test out this theory. By George, I will test it.

David.

Ken Nordtvedt <> wrote:
It is interesting that the haplotype I mentioned below as having a hotspot
in Denmark, shows in Capelli a very strong Norway presence. That's not
actully what SMGF shows, but I have noticed from other databases that the
Norway/Sweden borderlands seemed to have lots of this type.

In fact, Capelli shows such a strong Norway signal for this short haplotype,
I bet Oppenheimer made it one of the I1a types in his book and spun a grand
story about its migrations through the millenia. I guess some reverse
engineering from his foot notes are called for at this point. Ken

This thread: