Subject: Re: [DNA] Frequencies for 459 Unique R1b Iberian Origin Haplotypes
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:44:41 +0000

Ken

it was the Semino et al paper in 2000
http://www.ftdna.com/pdf/Science%20290.pdf

They used just THREE STRs (DYS19 and YCAii a and b). We now know that YCAii
is subject to recLOH (so that 19-19 is really just one step from 19-23, not
four) so the calculation is probably way off the mark.
It probably wouldn't have made much difference, but the paper didn't include
any British/Irish samples and only Saami from Scandinavia.

Gareth