From: John Cartmell <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Top Posting
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:37:44 +0000 (GMT)

On 29 Dec, Dennis Wright <> wrote:
> You didn't answer the Positive aspect of top posting ... I can read the
> first three lines in preview.

I can't. Most people can't. There are standards set for the design of
news/e-mail readers - it's not in the standards.

> This is a good reason ... I will continue to top post, and I hope others do
> too so I can preview.

You cannot. I won't be top-posting. I'll follow the international standards
that have been laid down. By all means ask for additions to the standards -
but not to throw them out.

> Just because something all was, doesn't mean it always has to be that way.
> "The only stable thing is change"

It still is. Get to understand the standards first. When you know, use, and
understand them *then* offer ideas for improvement. You haven't even started
your first year as an undergraduate and already you've decided what
postgraduate students should be taught.

John Cartmell"good manners are the best guide to good rules"
The news.newusers.questions FAQ
How to post to uk news groups
Proper quoting style explained

This thread: