From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Bottlenecks in East Asia (was Freq's 459 Unique R1bIberian Haplotypes)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:09:25 -0800 (PST)

This paper was not specifically about haplogroup O.
This paper is including other haplogroups (J, R1a, P*xR1a, C,C3, N) and geographical areas (Korea, Japan and Mongolia) in its diversity equations. According to the maps, these other haplo's (xO or subclades) appear more significantly in the north.

If you are looking to see the migration pattern of the most ancient people of China then only the most relavent subclade(s) should be used. I believe this would include O3.

Scientific research has C and O coming into east Asia from the south. and N (possibly not paleolithic) (subject to genetic drift) from the north.
R1a and J from the North Via Mongolia -
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2005/02/mongolian-y-chromosomes.html
P* likely from the North.

If O came in from the North it would have had to take a similar path as Q. There is no genetic evidence for this route by O.

Gary
Mexico DNA Project Admin.

Lawrence Mayka <> wrote:
>Ironically, this much more recent paper asserts almost the exact opposite of
>Su's conclusion anyway:

>http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1456369&blobtype=pdf

>In our samples, STR diversity and ASD measurements were higher in the
>north
>than in the south (Table 2), a finding that is not easily reconciled
>with a largely or exclusively southern origin for the northern
>populations.
---

>In other words, the southern portion of East Asia was not a refugium
>but a
>laggard in comparison to the northern portion, and indeed Hg O may have
>expanded from north to south rather than vice-versa.

This thread: