From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS388 mutation rate
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 21:31:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John McEwan" <>
> Ken, I think the raw values you want (as ASDs) are all available at
>
> http://www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/p3asdfull.htm
>
> and their associated modals at
>
> http://www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/p3modal.htm
>
> This clearly shows the high DYS388 ASD in haplogroup J. It appears that
> a major fraction is derived mainly from one small subgroup of J which
> has the high modal value. However, some care is required here.

John, ASDs roughly correlate with mutation rates, but ASDs also depend on
the age of the clade and the particulars of its history, especially early
history. If you mean high DYS388 ASD in haplogroup J (clades?) normalized
to the ASDs of the other markers for the same clade populations, that would
be an improvement and suggest something about any unusual mutation rate for
388 in J, albeit the tremendous variances of the ASDs, one against the
other.

Actually, most of us probably start out with the general belief that markers
have mutation rates that depend on repeat numbers, and in different manners
for different markers; at least that's what I sense from looking at all the
populations. So the issue was not "whether"? It was a question of could
such dependences be scientifically measured, and if so let's measure these
effects? Ken

This thread: