From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] United Empire Loyalist DNA Registry Project
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:48:43 -0800 (PST)

All:

I knew when I made this announcement that there were political overtones and from past experience expected the excallation into domains that have nothing to do with DNA. The Wikipedia article and similar documents appear to present a relative neurtal perspective and I ascribe to this approach.

I have been told never to mention that I am a descendant of Pvt. Hendrick Windecker of Butler's Rangers in any bar in Wilkes Barre PA since it is well documented that said Windecker was very free with his tomahawk. Historical fact from eye witnesses (well hidden in brambles mind you). If found that he is my ggg grandfather a few times over due to cousin marriages well, best I stay away from Wilkes Barre. This was 200 plus years ago. Canada and the US fought side by side in WW1 and WW2. We are close cousins and I am greatful to the USA for giving me an opportunity to work and reside there. I bring certain skills that are not common there so it all works out very nicely.

One of my ancestors Sgt. Daniel Young of Butler's Rangers (yes I am a Young many many times over) resided in Wetworth County Ontario and about 20 years later his cousin Pvt. John David Young of the Herkimer Militia in New York whose wartime pension records outline his service to the "Patriot" cause emigrated to the same township as his cousin. Their children and grandchildren intermarried and this is a rather typical scenario. Obviously many of John David's descendants are not eligible for UE status but his descendants who are also descended from Daniel are.

I would prefer that old wounds are allowed to heal (many Americans have both Patriot and Loyalist ancestors) and the only discussions are about genealogical and DNA implications - please.

David Faux.

John Cartmell <> wrote:
On 05 Jan, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:

> [...]

The only country that makes sense in the context is Great Britain; all the
rest were rebels , traitors or terrorists (choose your label).

--
John

This thread: