From: "Jim Huston" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] United Empire Loyalist DNA Registry Project
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:44:46 -0500

Not what I think, but what the Continental Congress, and by extension, the
people they represented, thought. The final paragraph of the Declaration of
Independence makes it clear that each colony considered itself a separate
and independent political entity, joined with the others in common cause
against Great Britain and in particular George III: "...these United
Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States..." (the
words "nation" and "state" being equivalent in international terms). This
viewpoint is expressed in other contemporary documents, including personal
letters of the signers. The Articles of Confederation expressly identified
each of the original 13 as sovereign states with mutual interests, an
alliance rather than a single nation.

In fact the State of Vermont, originally disputed territory between New
Hampshire and New York, fought its own sort of mini-war for independence
from New York (the origin of the Green Mountain Boys) and existed as a
separate nation with its own Constitution and foreign policy, not even
signatory to the Articles of Confederation, until after the Bill of Rights
was ratified in 1791.

Not that I claim any particular authority in this matter, but I've looked
into it pretty thoroughly as a native Woodchuck (that's Vermonter to you
flatlanders) and a descendant of both Patriots and Loyalists. ;-)

- Jim H.