From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Orlin
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:15:27 -0800

Oops. Shouldn't be posting at midnight I guess.

Yes, they now look much more cousin-like.

I say use best two out of three to figure the modal pattern
DYS449 = 31 G1 is the mutant
DYS458 = 16 G6 is the mutant
DYS464b = 16 and G6 is the mutant again
DYS464c = 17 and G6 is the mutant for a third time.
Y-GATA-H4 = 12 with G1 the mutant a second time
G2 is likely the modal, as you show. G1 and G6 have mutations on
different markers. G2 with 2 and G6 with 3. Both within reason to
be considered cousins. Now if you were only looking at G2 and G6 the
temptation would be to declare them not related because they have 5
mutations between them. Luckily you have the third cousin to
stabilize the modal haplotype. That is the benefit of testing
distant cousins from a family.

Common ancestor is clearly Irish. With a name like Gilpin I guess
that is no surprise.

But I still don't support any computation that is going to get at the
earliest ancestor for MRCA. It is back to the old tried and true
genealogy but they know they are all cousins and can ignore the
non-matching Gilpin lines..