From: John Ritchings <>
Subject: [DNA] Southwest England 23/11/13/13 hotspot
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:33:10 +0000

Greetings Peter

I regret that I am neither an historian nor a geneticist, but I do live
in the South West of England. From what little I know about its
history I would suggest that your results will very much depend upon
how you have defined the "South West."

The locals define the "South West" as essentially what is now
Devonshire and Cornwall. The history of the peninsula can be quite
different from the surrounding counties of Dorset, Somerset and
Gloucestershire which some might also consider to be part of the South
West of England.

My understanding is that Anglo Saxons/Vikings did not come to the
peninsula in any large numbers until around 700 AD. As this dating is
particularly relevant to my own family history I would appreciate
knowledge of your reference for a Viking presence of the size you
suggest in this area. Is this solely within the Sykes book or is there
some other independent reference?

Many thanks

John

Message: 10