From: Sam Vass <>
Subject: [DNA] DYF 371X result
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:15:31 -0800

I have just received the following result for the subject from FTDNA
DYF 371X 12t-12t-13c-16c
I am an R1b1* and can be found as C27F2 at ysearch.
My DYS 425 result was reported as 12

Is this result significant or meaningful?

sam vass

Reference 2 old posts to this digest:

<<Gareth, You may be interested to learn that the M284+ haplotype
from Iberia
turned out 10c-10c-13c-13c at DYF371

Thomas Krahn measured a few other of his exclusive multi-copy
markers. Should I be looking at any particular ones for something
interesting, given that some kind of unusual mutation has occured in
the DYF371 region?

Someday I may run this dna through FTDNA's 38-67 marker measurements
to see what their DYS425 turns out to be? 10? 13? or maybe a 14
month wait for middle panel results? Ken>>

<< September 09, 2006 Ken your possible exception is a prime
candidate for a DYF371 test. I will suggest a reason for the
unexpected 14 instead of either a 12 or a null. (If I'm right - can I
claim the beer? The modal DYF371 result for I's (and R1b's too)
appears to be 10c-12t-13c-14c. This produces the normal result of 12
for DYS425 which usually only detects the "t" copy. A recombination
mutation can replace the 12t with a second copy of 10c - this
produces a null result for DYS425. (There may be other reasons for a
null at DYS425 but this appears to be the most likely). The 13c and
14c copies can mutate independently as well as affect each other via
recombination - so you can get 10c-12t-13c-13c and 10c-12t-14c-14c
for example. With "null" DYS425 the underlying DYF371 pattern could
be 10c-10c-13c-13c or 10c-10c-14c-14c instead of 10c-10c-13c-14c. The
"c" copies would only appear as "noise" on the DYS425 graph where
there is a "t" copy present. But if the underlying pattern is
10c-10c-14c-14c I think it is possible that given the normal
variation in PCR amplification the graph might occasionally show a
noticeable peak for either the 10 or the 14 alleles, which might be
called as a "normal" DYS425 result of the observed value. A quick
glance at the OA "Blood of the Isles" data http://
www.bloodoftheisles.net/OGAP_yDNA.pdf suggests 10s and 14s are much
more common than 11s and 13s - there are several 10? results
suggesting an underlying null with noise from the 10c copy. Gareth>>

This thread: