Subject: Re: [DNA] DYF 371x Result
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:52:34 +0000

Rebekah

I think the 10c and 12t copies are on palindrome P5 and 13c/14c/15c copies
are on P1.

Since P1/P5 crossovers are apparently rare (and can delete up to 7Mb of DNA,
causing infertility, see
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v71n4/024131/brief/0241
31.abstract.html )
in effect DYF371 can be thought of for most haplogroups and family lines as
two separate two-copy STRs, the lower valued P5 version mainly affected by
recombination changing 10c-12t to either 10c-10c or 12t-12t, and the higher
valued P1 version mainly affected by single step mutations at a fairly slow
rate and very occasionally by recombination (including conversions,
duplications and deletions). Exceptions to the very common 12t allele (which
yields the value for DYS425) include 14 in branches of hg G, 13 in hg L and
11 in most branches of O.

The P5 recLOH at DYF371 is perhaps one of the most easily detectable effects
of recombination and might be a means of estimating the rate at which such
events happen.

Gareth

(looking out for the results for N24383, another "Group 1" Q* - will be
interesting if he shares the 12t-12t pattern)