From: "Peter J. Roberts" <>
Subject: [DNA] Medical and insurance implications of Y chromosome and mtDNAtesting
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

I've been informally gathering feed back from family historians I've met who have not had a DNA test. Besides "I already know my ancestry (published book;-)" and "procrastination", many people tell me they are concerned that the test would reveal a medical issue they don't want their insurance company to know about.

The only medical issue I know about with the Y chromosome test is that is could reveal infertility. Please let me know the odds that a Y DNA test will indicate infertility (about 1 in 2,000?).

What are the odds that (HVR1 and HVR2) results from an mtDNA test will indicate a possible medical issue? What are some of those CRS differences and what medical issues do they indicate?

Thank you and sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
The Bahamas DNA Project
The Roberts, Sasser, & Rustin Surname DNA Projects

always stay connected to friends.

This thread: