From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Medical and insurance implications ofYchromosomeandmtDNAtesting
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:46:11 +1200

Russ,

You said...

LOL John. that answer misrepresents my question.

Since I already know my haplogroup, I can exclude my clade from the hairy
ear gene. But there could be some pratical application to this. If hairy
ears are pretty infrequent and confined to the subclade of one haplogroup,
those with hairy ears might forego the expense of a dna test. It could work

like an SNP test, hairy ears + same surname = related.
<<<<<<<

Sorry, I was just being a bit mischievous. Actually, I agree with you, it
would be interesting if a physical characteristic like this was indicative
of haplogroup. It was a good point to raise, sorry if my comment distracted
from your intent.

However, in relation to the subject line of this thread, I wonder if people
concerned about genealogical DNA tests revealing medical conditions, are
aware that by looking at themselves and their family, they might have a more
reliable indication of possible hereditary medical conditions, than by
looking at their Y-DNA STR markers.

The last time I got insurance, questions I had to answer were about whether
any of "my family" had suffered from a range of medical conditions. Perhaps
if a person has family who have suffered from a hereditary condition, it is
a breach of their privacy if an insurance company find out about it?

John.

This thread: