From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Cruciani and 2007 TMRCA estimates
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:22:26 -0400

OK, again I think that maybe I understand another piece of this puzzle.
Thanks, John. Follow up question below...

The point is that Zhivotovsky et al are *not* estimating
>mutation rates at all. They are estimating scaled rates of diversity
>increase.

Could this be the reason that Cruciani et al chose to use variance, rather
than any particular mutation rate, to weight the median-joining trees
created in NETWORK?

Steve