From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Cruciani and 2007 TMRCA estimates
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:22:26 -0400

OK, again I think that maybe I understand another piece of this puzzle.
Thanks, John. Follow up question below...

The point is that Zhivotovsky et al are *not* estimating
>mutation rates at all. They are estimating scaled rates of diversity

Could this be the reason that Cruciani et al chose to use variance, rather
than any particular mutation rate, to weight the median-joining trees
created in NETWORK?