From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Early Population levels in the ' British peninsula '
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:19:05 -0700

Let's not overlook the impact things such as the Black Plague had on
populations. It is estimated this took out nearly 50% of the
population of the "known" world at the time. The rest (Australia,
Pacific islands, Americas, etc.) were probably spared only because
there was no trading going on between them and the rest of the
world. But there are also unanswered disappearances in the Americas
as well. That could have been caused by something similar.

We are here only because our ancestors somehow got through those
sorts of things. A lot of families didn't make the cut.

At 04:18 PM 4/5/2007, Elizabeth Kipp wrote:
>It is an interesting query and I was thinking about possible
>scenarios for early peoples in Britain having read Oppenheimer,
>Sykes and Wells books. Precise statistics on early peoples are
>difficult unless we suddenly find a whole lot of burial sites that
>we can do DNA studies on and know that they are "ancient." Knowing
>the History of the British Isles is advantageous as we have a clear
>understanding of the groups that entered at later dates. I am
>contemplating the various writers as I look at my paternal DNA line
>which is now undergoing subclade testing and has come back
>affirmative I1b (P37.2 positive). The rest of the SNPs have not
>given conclusive evidence of any further subdivision at this point
>in time but will hopefully in the next few weeks. But it was good to
>have the P37.2 verified.
>
>My own line goes back to the late 1200s on paper and a shadowy
>possibility back into the 1000s in England but prior to that I have
>no idea (which is the case for a good many!) so creating possible
>scenarios is an interesting experiment I think.
>
>To have a picture of the following scenario one would need a larger
>sampling of the British Isles currently to see how repititious
>various markers are. The less variety could indicate a smaller
>founding group that multiplied rapidly to fill the space.
>
>Bob Bootle <> wrote: By around 10 000 years
>ago.... the population may have reached 2400. By around 9000 years
>ago, there would have been between 2500 and 5000."
>

>Elizabeth (Blake) Kipp
>Guild of one-name studies #4600 - LAMBDEN, PINCOMBE and SIDERFIN
>Webpage: http://ca.geocities.com/ type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('rogers.com','kippeeb');/

>without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: