From: "C. Koch" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ten Lost Tribes, Far East, esp. Japan
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:27:30 -0700

Hi Ellen,

I was wondering about this quote from what you wrote:

>On the other hand, it appears that J1 with the CMH
>dates to the pre-Diaspora period, occurring in great
>frequency (50%-80%) among both Sephardic and Ashkenazi
>Cohanim.

Could you explain (if you don't mind--you have probably discussed this
previously, as you have said), how do we know that those claiming Cohanim
descendancy are indeed from Aaron's lineage? (Is it through naming
patterns, genealogical paper trail, other records showing migration
patterns?) How is it that one is certain that the Cohanim can be certain
of their lineage back to pre-Diaspora?

Maybe it would help me to understand this first...

Thanks- Cherie