Subject: [DNA] DYS 464
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:43:30 EDT

I would like to alert project administrators to a problem that may or may
not affect very many projects. However, it had a significant impact on the Meek
Surname Project. Certain combinations of marker values for DYS 464 are
extremely difficult to read. Even after being reviewed, the lab provided incorrect
values.
In the Meek project we have two unrelated groups with a common configuration
for DYS 464 of 14, 14, 17, 17 and 14, 14, 17, 18. I suspected incorrect
results in 8 of 9 kits with mismatches in this marker. I had 13 kits from these
two groups re-tested, using the DYS 464 extended test, at DNA Fingerprint in
Germany and one at the Houston lab. In each case of a suspect result from
the University of Arizona the extended test returned the modal values for the
group in question. (All other kits with modal values for their respective
group, that were retested, had the original results confirmed by the extended
test. Errors did not occur in the opposite direction away from the group
modal.) After a lengthy process of reviews and re-testing FTDNA change the results
of all of the suspected kits.
I am not in a position to know why this problem exists or how wide spread it
might be. I am sure that the vast majority of results for DYS 464 are
correct. However, if you have an individual in a group with a mismatch in DYS 464
that does not look right you may want to consider ordering the extended test
for DYS 464 (DYS 464X) under Order Tests > Advanced Orders on the personal
page.
Chris