From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS 464
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:14:59 -0500

I previously mentioned an instance of FTDNA's Arizona lab reporting
incorrect results for DYS464 for a R1b1c member of the Italy DNA
Project. In that case, the participant had (like the Meeks mentioned
here, as best I can tell) only two distinct alleles. The Arizona lab
reported 15-15-15-17 but the Houston lab (using DYS464X) found the
actual value to be 15-15-17-17.

I agree with Chris that the majority of reported DYS464 results are
probably correct. However, I think this serves as a valuable
reminder that multi-copy markers must be used cautiously .

If you want to use DYS464, have double duplicate or a triplicate
alleles (e.g. 14-14-17-17 or 15-15-15-18) from the original DYS464
test, and are in haplogroup R1b1c, then you probably are a good
candidate for the DYS464X upgrade. It is not clear to me whether
DYS464X will help folks outside of R1b1c, however.

Vince

On Apr 14, 2007, at 6:43 AM, wrote:

> I am not in a position to know why this problem exists or how wide
> spread it
> might be. I am sure that the vast majority of results for DYS 464 are
> correct. However, if you have an individual in a group with a
> mismatch in DYS 464
> that does not look right you may want to consider ordering the
> extended test
> for DYS 464 (DYS 464X) under Order Tests > Advanced Orders on the
> personal
> page.

This thread: