Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS 464
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:33:26 EDT

The Meek people involved were also R1b1c. Sorry for that omission.

In a message dated 4/14/2007 8:16:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

I previously mentioned an instance of FTDNA's Arizona lab reporting
incorrect results for DYS464 for a R1b1c member of the Italy DNA
Project. In that case, the participant had (like the Meeks mentioned
here, as best I can tell) only two distinct alleles. The Arizona lab
reported 15-15-15-17 but the Houston lab (using DYS464X) found the
actual value to be 15-15-17-17.

I agree with Chris that the majority of reported DYS464 results are
probably correct. However, I think this serves as a valuable
reminder that multi-copy markers must be used cautiously .

If you want to use DYS464, have double duplicate or a triplicate
alleles (e.g. 14-14-17-17 or 15-15-15-18) from the original DYS464
test, and are in haplogroup R1b1c, then you probably are a good
candidate for the DYS464X upgrade. It is not clear to me whether
DYS464X will help folks outside of R1b1c, however.

Vince