From: Jim T <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS 464
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:00:36 -0700 (PDT)

Chris wrote:

> I would like to alert project administrators to a problem that
> may or may
> not affect very many projects. However, it had a significant
> impact on the Meek
> Surname Project. Certain combinations of marker values for
> DYS 464 are
> extremely difficult to read. Even after being reviewed, the
> lab provided incorrect
> values.
> In the Meek project we have two unrelated groups with a common
> configuration
> for DYS 464 of 14, 14, 17, 17 and 14, 14, 17, 18. I suspected
> incorrect
> results in 8 of 9 kits with mismatches in this marker.
<snip>
> After a lengthy process of reviews and re-testing FTDNA change
> the results
> of all of the suspected kits.
<snip>

FT-DNA originally reported my DYS464 as 15-15-15-17. When I had
DYS464X tested in Sept. 2005, DNA-FP reported 15-15-17-17, which
eventually proved to be the correct result. I suspect that
15-15-17-17 isn't particularly hard to read, and the problem in
my case was a 'clerical mutation'. I know of two other cases
where FT-DNA reported incorrect DYS464 results. I agree with
Chris that if you have a DYS464 result that looks suspicious,
you should consider having the DYS464X test.

Jim Turner