From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Different Subject
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 04:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

As long as the statement "Overall, the mutation rate was positively correlated
to STR repeat length" then you could have different mutation rates at values for YSTR markers between haplogroups.

An extreme example is: 385b runs from 11 to 15 in R1b and 16 to 21 in Q. A surname admin. could concievably see a faster mutation rate in the surname with Q origins with 20 and 21 repeats over the those with R1b origins and 11and 12 repeats. As I recall this was the contention of the original post on this "Different Subject".

This abstract http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112101932/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 support the subject research: "longer alleles were found to be more mutable"

Would appreciate the full text on the Dupuy paper you quoted from below.

Gary
Mexico DNA Project Admin.

Vincent Vizachero <> wrote:

On May 8, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Gary Felix wrote:

>> The difference in modal values between haplogroups would cause one
>> haplogroup to mutate faster in the haplogroup with the most repeats
>> at the loci being studied.

>The Dupuy paper you cite is an interesting one, but the abstract is
>tad misleading. Dupuy et al. found that the difference in observed
>mutational frequency was completely explained by allele length. In
>other words, once they controlled for allele length, the difference
>between haplogroups disappeared

>" As reported, standardized allele length and haplogroup
> are both significant predictors for mutation frequency. A
> multivariate logistic regression analysis was performed to
> control any potential confounding. This analysis showed
> that standardized allele length remained significant
> controlling for haplogroup. However, haplogroup was
> no longer significant when standardized allele length was
> taken into account. (p. 120-121)."

Vince

This thread: