From: Linda R Romero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Mutation rates due to age of father
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:53:38 -0500

On May 13, 2007, at 9:40 AM, wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:31:01 -0700
> From: "Alfred A. Aburto Jr." <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Mutation rates due to age of father
>
>> Linda R Romero wrote:
>
>> There is
>> 30 years between my father's oldest and youngest son's. A middle son
>> has been tested J2b1b and has no matches in any database I can
>> access. I am wondering if testing the oldest and youngest brothers
>> would be of any value.
>>
>> Linda
>>

> I don't know of such a study.
> Normally there will be no difference between the sons, because the
> Y-DNA
> is quite stable. But the possibility of a mutation is there, even if
> small. What might be more interesting would be to track down someone
> else along your paternal line and test him. A male child of a paternal
> uncle or paternal great uncle's line ... I'm trying to do this
> myself ...
> Al

Hi Al,

I've done as you said. My father's brother's grandson tested and
came back J2 also. You can see the results at http://
www.familytreedna.com/public/Romero/index.aspx?fixed_columns=on

There is a slight difference at 576 with one having a 16 and one a
17. FtDNA has the Haplogroups as J2e2 for my brother and just J2 for
my cousin. I don't know why they are not in the same Haplogroup. I
believe this confirms the relationship and the Haplogroup, even if my
cousin has not been SNP tested.

However, it still leaves open the question whether there would be a
difference between my untested brother born in 1933 and my untested
brother who was born in 1963. When I can afford it, I will try to
convince them to let me have their Y-DNA tested.

I'm just a curious person.

Linda

This thread: