From: "Gary Corbett" <>
Subject: [DNA] Newbie just tested-can anyone shed any light on what this allmeans?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:07:49 -0500

I was recently tested by FT DNA,for 37 markers,and have ordered the 67 marker upgrade.
They predict I am R1b1.

Here are my results:
393-13
390-25
19-14
391-10
385a-11
385b-16
426-12
388-12
439-12
389i-13
392-13
389ii-29
458-17
459a-9
459b-10
455-11
454-11
447-25
437-15
448-19
449-29
464a-15
464b-15
464c-17
464d-17
460-11
GATAH4-11
YCAiia-37
YCAiib-39
442-12
438-12

My surname is Corbett,which is of Norman origin.
They are known to have come into the Isles at or shortly after the invasion of 1066.I don't have any idea at all if I am a male-line descendant,but I do have good paper of a descent from another way,through Col. Thomas Ligon of Colonial Virginia.That's definitely not male-line,though.
My confirmed paper trail only goes back to North Carolina and Virginia,in my direct male line.We are presumably from the British Isles,with my father being born in a farming community in rural North Carolina,which was known for being about half English and half Scots-Irish.
I am a perfect match with 2 other members of my surname group,at 25 markers,and with ancestry in North Carolina with no obvious connecting paper trail between myself and them(they connect to each other by paper).With one of these men,I have a 35/37 match so far,with the difference being that he has CDYa,b at 38,38,and mine is at 37,39.

For a newbie,it is surprisingly difficult to find answers that are definitive.Maybe this is not possible yet.This is the best forum I've found so far,from what little I've browsed it.

I found a paper online by Kevin Campbell,wherein he attempted to flesh-out some of the data that Bryan Sykes had done about R1b in the Isles.I found they were using fewer markers with this Oxford thing,but did find matches for my sequence,at a low-occurrence.Mine was given the designation OGAS 27.
Mr. Campbell graciously answered a couple of emails,and directed me to my 12 matches is Sykes' raw data.
When asked to speculate what I might be classified as,he replied that he thought I might fit Stephen Oppenheimer's R1b-11 sub-clade.I cannot find this terminology online anywhere,but have found R1b1c11 mentioned sparsely.Is this the same thing?

I guess my basic question is-is there anything that can be inferred about my ancestry from this 37 marker result?
If so,what specifically tells you each thing?

Outside of getting the upgrade to 67 markers,how else shall I proceed?Snip test next,or what?
Thanks for any help!!

This thread: