Subject: Re: [DNA] Milesians rather than The People of the Lightning:FirBolgand Bel...
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:52:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/2007 10:43:51 A.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

Overall, your posts are a very illuminating survey. I agree with you on
almost all aspects you cover. You obviously know your O'Rahilly. But I
have one further question. In all the tribes you mention, there is no
mention of Ui Eachach Cobo. This tribe, as you might imagine, is most
interesting to me in my Eoghanacht studies.

According to Daithi O hOgain, Eochaidh MacMidir, son of Daire Donn, King of
the Eastern World [I love that name :)], went north to Lough Neagh (Loch
n'Each) where he founded Ui Eachach Cobo. These dates are probably likely
to be late and may infer a spillover across the Dal Riada into Scotland. O
Corrain places them in the diocese of Dromore, south of Lough Neagh. (He
also labels them Cruithin, which doesn't make much sense within the
annalistic history of the Ui Eachach - but they could have been the
overlords of the conquered Cruithin, much as the O'Briens seem to be
Dalcassian Eoghanacht over the Deisi tribes.)

There is a pedigree for the Ui Echach Coba in Rawlinson B.502 (para. 1692).
I told you how to find this ms. on the CELT site but I might as well post it
here now.

GENELACH ÚA N-ECHACH COBA & is iat-side lethchenél Dál n-Araidi.
¶1692] Congal m. Áeda m. Garbíth m. Écertaich (cuius filius Cummascach) m.
Lorccáin m. Cernaich m. Máel Bresail m. Ailella m. Feideilmid m. Máel Cothaid
m. Fergusa m. Áedáin m. Mongáin m. Sáráin m. Maine m. Fothaid m. Conaill m.
Echach Coba (a quo Úi Echach Coba) m. Cruind Ba Druí.
The Ui Echach Coba were a branch of the Dal nAraidhi (from Echach Coba).
What these families have in common is a descent from Cruind Ba Drui. I think
this means Conn the druid or something similar.
You can follow the pedigree further back in the Ui Echach pedigree:
GENELACH ÚA N-ECHACH.
¶1688] Flaithbertach m. Echmílid m. Áeda m. Echmílid m. Áeda m. Echmílid m.
Óengusa m. Aitíd m. Laigne m. Blaithmeic m. Domnaill m. Conchobuir m. Bresail
m. Fergusa m. Áedáin m. Mongáin m. Sáráin m. Maine m. Fothaid m. Conaill m.
Cóelbad m. Cruind Ba Druí cuius filius Eocho C[gap: illegible/extent: 3
letters] m. Fráechair F[gap: illegible/extent: 6 letters] m. Fergusa Fo[gap:
illegible/extent: 3 letters] m. Lugdach m. Rossa m. Imchatha m. Feideilmid m.
Caiss m. Fiachach Araidi m. Óengusa Goibnenn m. Fergusa Gall[gap:
illegible/extent: 3 letters]{facsimile page & column 162a} m. Tipraite (qui occidit Conn
Cétchathach) m. Bressail Bricc m. Briúin (qui subintrauit Loch Láeg) m. Feirbb
m. Máil (qui occidit Tuathal Techtmar) m. Rochride m. Cathbath m. Ailchada m.
Cuindchatha m. Findchatha m. Muiredaich m. Fiachach Findamnais m. Iaréol
Glúnmáir m. Conaill Cernaig m. Amargin m. Caiss m. Fachtnai m. Capai m. Ingai m.
Rudraige m. Sittride m. Duib m. Fomuir m. Argatmáir m. Sírláim m. Find m.
Blátha m. Labrada m. Ollaman Fótla m. Fiachach Fínscothaig m. Sétnai Airt m.
Ébricc Bricc m. Ébir m. h- Ír m. Míled Espáine.
Here you can see the eponymous Fiachach Araidi and the Ulidian hero, Conal
cernaig. it ends up with Ir, son of Mil Espaine.
The Irish History in Maps site is perhaps the best reference for the location
of Irish clans.
_http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkik/ihm/baronies.htm_
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkik/ihm/baronies.htm)
Co. Down
All - Cited by Ptolemy to be anciently inhabited by the Uluntii, it was
early referred to as Ulagh or Ulidia, being part of the early territory of the
Dal Fiatach, Dal Araide and Ui Eatach Cobha. By the 12th century the principal
families were O'Neill, MacGennis, MacCartan, Kelly and MacGilmore. Iveagh
(Lower-Lower Half) - Iveagh was anciently part of the territory of the Ui
Eatach Cobha. MagAonghusa (Magennis or McGuinness), lords of Iveagh. O'Haedha
(O'Hugh) is given as chief of Fernmoy centered in the barony of Lower Iveagh.
The chieftains of the Ui Echach Coba of Co. Down were Maguinness and
McCartan. This was a branch of the Dal nAraidhi of NW Ulster. Their name can't
be located on Ptolemy's map of Ireland. O'Rahilly suspects at the time they
were a subject tribe dominated by the Erainn or Belgae in the same area, and
only rose to greater prominence later. It is also the main tribe singled out
by Irish annalists as Cruithin. There are a number of references to the Dal
nAraidhi as Cruithin in the annals. And interestingly, the largest
proportion of both Maguinness and McCartan samples in the Trinity study are I
haplogroup, or old I1c, which now has a completely different name, but refers to old
British Isles I.
This Ireland in Maps site is wonderful, by the way. It combines evidence
from the Irish annals, the pedigrees, Topographical Poems, etc., for a
comprehensive listing of the known tribes of Ireland and their traditional descent
and territories.
John