From: "brian quinn" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Pre-Germanic pre-Celtic peoples in Belgium/Netherlands
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:54:03 +1000

My apologies folks. I have been mixing up Atrebates and Attecotti.

I waxed lyrical about the Attecotti of Glocester and Belgium as being
Pictish. What rubbish! I should have been keeping Attecotti for only
Galloway Pict like people and the rest near the Belgae are Atrebates.

Nice map of Batavian homeland
http://www.livius.org/a/1/germania/germinf_map.gif

Note the Atrebates to the southward. Got it right this time.

And a nice I suppose Ptolemy map of Britain/ Ireland
http://web.mac.com/heraklia/Caesar/battles/The%20Gallic%20Wars/britain/index
.html with an account of the Batavian troops. Many of whom deserted at
Hadrians Wall after told were going to Dacia.

Says Batavians at mouth of Rhine left written records and were literate.
List of names should give some idea of whether germanic or not.

>From the Vindolanda Tablets. written on bits of wood. This was list of wheat
rations to the men of the Batavian Legion. Greeks were often the doctors.

"Soldiers
The tablets also refer to many individuals of lower rank, junior officers,
ordinary soldiers, though we learn little more about them than we can
extract from their names and ranks. The names for example in 180, recording
the dispensation of wheat, include Macrinus, Felicius Victor, Spectatus,
Amabilis, Crescens, Firmus, Candidus and Lucius, sound Roman. Some of these
individuals may be Italian, but the adoption of Roman names by non-Roman
auxiliary soldiers is a well-known phenomenon. One such individual is
Sabinus Trever (182). Sabinus is a Roman name but Trever indicates his
origin in another northern Gallic tribe, the Treveri, based around Trier
(Augusta Treverorum) in western Germany. As well as other Latin names
(Felicio, Sanctus), 182 also records several Celtic names, including
Atrectus, Exomnius and Andecarus. 310 gives further examples of Celtic
names, Veldeius / Veldedeius and Velbuteius, and two Germanic names,
Chrauttius and Thuttena. Some Greek names are attested, for example Paris
and Corinthus (311). These might be slaves, who often had Greek names. The
diverse cultural connections suggested by the names illustrate the
cosmopolitan culture of the army."

You can search the letters the garrison commander's wife writing mentions
what may be home town of Briga-perhaps Celtic speaking in Gaul?

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DLink2/4DACTION/WebRequestQuery?searchTerm=
292&searchType=number&searchField=TVII&thisListPosition=1&thisPageNum=0

Brian Quinn

This thread: