From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] R1b1c10 and DYS492=14
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

I have uploaded new info re S28-R1b1c10 to http://www.davidkfaux.org/R1b1c10_Data.htm.

What is particularly interesting is that there is now another S28+ who has DYS492=14. The modal for R1b1c* is 12 (which is also most common for R1b1c10) whereas 13 is the value most closely associated with S21-R1b1c9.

We now have 2 of 3 German S28+ who have the value of 14 at the above marker. A third is from Italy, and a fourth is from an adopted line and there is no further information.

It appears that S28 is bimodal at what is more and more appearing to be a key marker - which coincidentally is the most important Y-STR marker for S21.

Historically most of the migrations of Central European Celts has been south (documented from about 400 BC) from Gaul, Bavaria and Baden to Cisalpine Italy. At present it would appear that DYS492=14 is an indicator of northern Alpine ancestry. It is interesting that despite the sample sizes (large numbers of British relative to Continental Europeans having tested) there is not a single English S28 with DYS492=14. Since I have posited an origin for the English S28 in Moravia, then Jutland, this is not surprising. I would expect eventually a scattering of "fourteens" due to the likely mixing of Central European Celtic groups after the attack on the temple at Delphi, Greece in 379 BC, and subsequent reversal of migration and infilling of abandoned areas west back to Gaul (e.g., Toulouse) at that time. The only Celts documented by Appian and other Classical authors as having participated in the assault on Greece were the Cimbri from Jutland and the Tectosages from
Toulouse. Perhaps those from Baden etc. "stayed home" during these turbulent times. Of couse much large sample sizes are needed before anything more definitive can be said.

David Faux
S28-R1b1c10

This thread: