Subject: Re: [DNA] H mtDNA Heteroplasmy Reporting
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:56:24 EDT

Bill asked
>May I ask which testing company reported the heteroplasmy 16291C/T?

The mtDNA was tested at Family Tree DNA. I wonder if the lab spent
extra time looking for a back mutation since I was suspecting a mistake
and thought it should be ruled out anyway.

More likely, as Ann said
>It seemed to me that I've been seeing
>a few more reports with heteroplasmy
>recently, and Thomas Krahn confirmed
>that some new procedures have been
>developed to call heteroplasmy with
>greater confidence.

In my experience, if you have the 235 + 293 + 400 you will
also have the 291. It seems like the 235 + 291 defines this
particular subset plus it is found in ancient archaeological
remains which makes it even more important in forming some
sort of backbone.

There is another person who has the 235 + 291 + 400 and I
am wondering if heteroplasmy should be looked for in this
case as well to see if the 293 polymorphism is present. Can
we ask for extra testing based solely on an increased index
of suspicion? Probably not.

Kathy J.