From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The Jewish Ancestry Question
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

Vince:

I appreciate your reluctance to speculate regarding
R1b1*, as well as your willingness to acknowledge that
much cannot be ruled in or out right now without
further data.

Still, that raises the question of how it can thus be
determined that the origin of cluster 4 is "consistent
with Levantine origin." I just don't see how one
reaches that conclusion when so little is known and
the group apparently isn't restricted to those of
Ashkenazi origin, but about 25% appears to be of
non-Jewish European origin and TMRCA appears to be
right about the time that the Diaspora began in
Europe.

Also, why isn't an African/Congo origin being
postulated rather than a Middle Eastern origin?

Any thoughts about the possibility of gene conversion
in these three disparate and very isolated groups?

Ellen Coffman